The Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Experience is a hands-on awareness building tool that models the distorted processing of visual information, loss of motor coordination, and slowed decision making and reaction time resulting from recreational marijuana use.
The purpose of the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Experience is to give participants an understanding of cognitive impairments associated with recreational marijuana use and to demonstrate the potentially severe consequences that can result. Impairments resulting from recreational marijuana use include distorted processing of visual information, alteration of visual perception, slower decision making and reaction time, and loss of short-term memory.
Catching balls of a particular color suddenly isn’t an easy task as the Marijuana Goggle causes impaired perception and judgment.
Completing the simple maze suddenly becomes a confusing activity when wearing the Marijuana Goggle.
Participants wearing the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Goggles will experience some of the modeled effects of impairment resulting from recreational marijuana use. For example, even though an individual may be able to see through the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Goggles clearly, the goggles will filter out some of the visual information which everyone but the person wearing the goggles can see. The result is people understanding their susceptibility to the cognitive impairments of recreational marijuana use and realizing the potentially severe consequences of recreational marijuana use.
Activities using a Fatal Vision® Marijuana Goggle typically use the following approach. Participants:
- Perform one of several activities listed on the Fatal Vision® Marijuana User’s Guide WITHOUT using the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Goggle and relate the activity to a real-world driving scenario or every day situation that they may encounter.
- Perform the activity a second time while wearing the Marijuana Goggle.
- Compare performances. The results are clear; the simulated impairments of recreational marijuana use can inhibit a person’s ability to perform activities that are typically routine and simple for a person that is not under the influence of recreational marijuana.
- Instructor and participants discuss the experience and its relevance to personal safety.
The Fatal Vision® Marijuana Goggle provides a significantly different type of simulation and experience than what the Fatal Vision® Alcohol Impairment Simulation Goggle provides. While the Fatal Vision® alcohol impairment simulation causes loss of balance, delayed reaction times and poor targeting skills, the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Experience highlights the cognitive impairments associated with recreational marijuana use. For example, the loss of short term memory, slower decision making and reaction times, distorted processing of visual information, and alteration of visual perception.
The common “Walk the Line” activity is not sufficient for demonstrating the cognitive impairment resulting from recreational marijuana use. Activities specially designed to work with the Fatal Vision Marijuana Goggles are an integral part of the marijuana simulation experience.
The Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Experience provides a completely new and unique demonstration of the impairing effects of recreational marijuana use.
- Includes easy to deliver activities that demonstrate cognitive impairments of recreational marijuana use
- Activity demonstration videos show instructors how to conduct each activity step-by-step
- Each activity introduction video gives participants insight into the impairment being demonstrated by the marijuana simulation experience
- Informative User Guide provides the steps and information to deliver a meaningful experience
- Hand-crafted in USA!
- Promotes discussion on the potential dangers of recreational marijuana use
- Engaging and hands-on
- Easy to use and incorporate into existing drug awareness and prevention programs
- Clearly demonstrates people's susceptibility to impairment resulting from recreational marijuana use
Frequently Asked Questions
Click any question to reveal the answer
Can the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Goggle simulate other kinds of drug impairment?
These goggles are designed to model the cognitive impairments resulting from recreational marijuana use. However, synthetic cannabis, often referred to as K2 Spice, has similar impairments to recreational marijuana use.
How are the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Goggles different from the Fatal Vision® Alcohol Impairment Goggles?
The impairment from alcohol involves gross motor incoordination, so the physical effects are more obvious. The Fatal Vision® Alcohol Impairment Simulation goggles demonstrate the impairment of loss of balance, poor vision, slowed reaction time, and poor judgment associated with alcohol consumption.
Impairment resulting from recreational Marijuana use is more subtle and involves a cognitive impairment that distorts concentration, disrupts memory and information processing, and causes a slight loss of coordination. The Fatal Vision® Marijuana Goggle demonstrates these cognitive impairments and the potentially severe consequences that can result.
Why are the Fatal Vision Marijuana Goggles green? Does this imply that recreational marijuana use causes someone to see green?
No, marijuana does not cause someone to see green nor make you blind to the color red. The green lens is one component of the marijuana goggle to help demonstrate the distorted processing of visual information. The eyes are one source of information that the mind uses to make a decision. The green lens acts as a filter that screens out potentially important information needed to make a decision in the specifically designed activities. The included activities use this filter to demonstrate how loss of information processing and altered visual perception might result in potentially severe consequences.
How are the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Experience Goggles different from the Blue Label Fatal Vision® Goggle?
The Fatal Vision® Marijuana Goggle and activities are designed specifically to model the perceptual and cognitive impairments of recreational marijuana. The Blue Label Goggle simulates a double vision and extreme blurriness that some of our customers have used to simulate physical impairment from substances other than alcohol. The Blue Label Goggle does not simulate the effects of a specific drug or have a designated Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) level.
Can I purchase just a Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Goggle and use it like the Fatal Vision® Alcohol Impairment Goggle?
The Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Goggle is not available for purchase individually; however additional marijuana goggles may be added to the purchase of either the Marijuana Simulation Experience Program or Event Kit.
The lens technology that we use to simulate impairment from alcohol provides an experience that allows the participant to feel the physical effects of loss of balance, impaired targeting skills and vision, slowed reaction time, and poor judgment.
The lens technology that we use to model impairment from recreational marijuana is very different from the lens technology we use in the Fatal Vision Alcohol Simulation goggles. The Marijuana Goggle provides a filtering effect that allows the participant to experience loss of concentration, loss of short-term memory and altered visual information processing, with a minimal loss of balance and coordination. To model these cognitive impairments, we designed specific activities and accessories for the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Goggle to demonstrate the potentially severe consequences that can result from the acute effects of recreational marijuana use, especially while driving.
What is the difference between the Program Kit and Event Kit?
The Event Kit and Program Kit each include the materials necessary to perform five activities that are designed to model five different cognitive impairments resulting from recreational marijuana. The activities in both kits include:
- Ball Toss Activity- Perceptions and Response
- The Maze Activity- Executive Function
- Object Identification- Reaction Time
- Traffic Signals-Visual Perception and Response
- Road Recall-Short Term Memory
The Event Kit includes a 6th activity that uses the DIES® Distracted Driving Mat for delivery of an additional Road Recall experience that demonstrates the effects of short-term memory loss while driving. The Event Kit also includes an additional 200 mazes.
What age group should I use the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Experience Kits with?
The Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Kits each include a variety of activities and experiences to provide a clear drug prevention lesson. Several activities focus on drugged driving and are targeted for both new and experienced drivers ages 16 and older.
Each kit also includes activities that can be used to educate about non-driving dangers that can result from recreational marijuana use as well. Because rates of marijuana use amongst 8th, 10th, and 12th graders are higher than rates for any other illicit drug (as cited by whitehousedrugpolicy.gov), the Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Experience Kits can be an effective tool with youth 12 years of age or older provided the instructor has a relevant call to action for this age group.
Promotional Video: How To Educate Teens About Marijuana ImpairmentWatch Video
Demo Video: Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Experience Maze ActivityWatch Video
Demo Video: Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation Experience Ball Toss ActivityWatch Video
Steps To Success For The Fatal Vision® Marijuana Simulation ExperienceWatch Video
- intoxiclock® Pro - Program Kit
- Fatal Vision® Alcohol - Event Kit
- Fatal Vision® Marijuana - Event Kit
- Fatal Vision® Concussion - Event Kit
- Change Blindness and Distracted Driving Interactive Media Program
- M.E.T.H.O.D.® Distracted Driving - Event Kit
- DIES® Balcony Danger Mat
- SIDNE® Version 7.0 Basic Package with Onsite Training Session
- turn 'n learn® Classroom Challenge - Alcohol Awareness
- AIM® (Awareness In Motion) Distracted Driving Lenticular Poster
- turn 'n learn® Classroom Challenge - Distracted Driving
- Distract-A-Match® - Campaign Kit
- "You Call the Shots" Floor Banner
- SUM-IT-CUP® Complete with Master Bartender®