What Is Tunnel Vision and TVL™?
People who have consumed relatively moderate amounts of alcohol experience reduced peripheral vision, and are less likely to perceive or recognize objects and signals outside the central visual field. This change in focus and judgment can be described as tunnel vision. A person that is experiencing tunnel vision may intently focus on an object directly in front of them but not be aware of what is happening outside of their central visual field. A car, a person or an animal will not catch their attention until it/they have moved from their peripheral vision into their line of central vision when it may be too late to react safely. The Tunnel Vision Lenses (TVL™) are a set of self-adhesive lenses applied to the Fatal Vision® Goggles that will restrict a person’s peripheral vision. There are three levels of TVL™ that are correlated to increasing levels of intoxication with decreasing levels of peripheral vision.
How does TVL™ Work?
When law enforcement suspects a driver of being under the influence of alcohol, the officer may conduct a Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN) to assist in determining an individual’s Blood Alcohol Concentration (B.A.C.). A person who has been properly trained to administer a HGN can accurately assess a person’s B.A.C. based on when their eye muscles can no longer smoothly pursue an object moving across their field of vision. When an officer sweeps their finger or pen across an impaired person’s field of vision, their eyes begins to quiver at the angles described below and corresponds to their B.A.C. level.
TVL™ comes in three levels and simulates an estimated loss of peripheral vision that is correlated to the angles at which the eyes quiver as measured during an HGN Test. Using the Fatal Vision® Goggles and the TVL™, participants will experience tunnel vision. TVL™ will narrow the wearer’s peripheral vision to focus their sight more directly in front of them; allowing you to demonstrate the impact of missing cues outside of their direct line of sight.
B.A.C. Limited Field of Vision Fatal Vision® with TVL™ 0.10 40 degrees Bronze Label (estimated B.A.C. of .07–.10+) 0.15 35 degrees Red Label (estimated B.A.C. of .12–.15+) 0.20 30 degrees Silver Label (estimated B.A.C. of .17–.20+)
- intoxiclock® Pro - Program Kit
- Fatal Vision® Alcohol - Event Kit
- Fatal Vision® Marijuana - Event Kit
- Fatal Vision® Concussion - Event Kit
- Change Blindness and Distracted Driving Interactive Media Program
- M.E.T.H.O.D.® Distracted Driving - Event Kit
- DIES® Balcony Danger Mat
- SIDNE® Version 7.0 Basic Package with Onsite Training Session
- turn 'n learn® Classroom Challenge - Alcohol Awareness
- AIM® (Awareness In Motion) Distracted Driving Lenticular Poster
- turn 'n learn® Classroom Challenge - Distracted Driving
- Distract-A-Match® - Campaign Kit
- "You Call the Shots" Floor Banner
- SUM-IT-CUP® Complete with Master Bartender®